No, it’s not Robert Redford from the 1972 movie.
The WRAP group sought a candidate to run against Lucey. We needed a candidate with intelligence, integrity, and a knowledge of how the county worked. We were hoping to find a Republican given the party affiliations in District 2. We thought of a few good candidates, but none was willing to run. A political consultant told us that finding a good candidate would be the hardest part of defeating Lucey.
So, we’re supporting a candidate who is neither a Republican nor has extensive experience with the county; me. But, I will staunchly represent the homeowners and taxpayers of District-2 and of the county as a whole. I will advance their interests against those of the developers or other commercial enterprises. The commissioners taking the side of developers over homeowners is at the root of the terrible problems we’re suffering related to development.
- Development must be a net benefit for existing homeowners in the area.
- Development must be sustainable relative to water availability, flood drainage, and wildfire hazard.
- Development should follow the area plans and Re-imagine Reno so as to retain the character of the area. We don’t want to be like Phoenix or Vegas with urban sprawl.
- Taxpayers need to be confident that they are getting value for their revenues. Coordination with Reno should not impose a burden on taxpayers outside the city.
- I will not accept campaign contributions or any favor or consideration from a party with business before the commission.
- Engineering reports must be accurate for safe development: current reports are of dubious merit.
- Development should not disrupt the wildlife and should not cause long-term environmental harm.
I have started a website: wolgast4washoe.com. I’m not sure it’s accessible yet. I will be introducing myself at our next neighborhood meeting.
I will need the support of the community for my bid for office to have any chance. Come to me with your ideas and concerns.